Gift of Hope, HRSA honor 23 Illinois and northwest Indiana hospitals’ engagement in ‘National Hospital Organ Donation Campaign’
ITASCA, Ill. – Twenty-three hospitals and health systems in Illinois and northwest Indiana are being recognized for saving and healing lives by encouraging their employees and communities to register as organ, eye, and tissue donors.
Gift of Hope Organ & Tissue Donor Network, the nonprofit responsible for coordinating organ donation in the northern three-quarters of Illinois and northwest Indiana, and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) are honoring the hospitals and systems for their work as part of HRSA’s National Hospital Organ Donation Campaign.
From October 2021 through May 2022, Gift of Hope and other organ procurement organizations across the country supported more than 1,300 hospitals and systems in educating their staff and communities about the crucial need for organ, eye, and tissue donation, and encouraging donor registration.
More than 106,000 people are waiting for a life-saving organ transplant in the United States. Every nine minutes, another person is added to the national transplant waiting list, reaffirming the critical and growing need for more registered organ, eye, and tissue donors. The HRSA campaign generated more than 50,000 new donor registrations nationally.
Gift of Hope and HRSA recognize these 23 local hospitals and systems for participating in the annual registration campaign:
- Blessing Hospital
- Community Hospital
- Edward Hospital
- Elmhurst Hospital
- Javon Bea Hospital
- Loyola University Medical Center
- OSF Healthcare Saint Anthony Medical Center
- OSF Healthcare Saint Francis Medical Center
- OSF Healthcare Saint Luke Medical Center
- OSF Healthcare Saint Paul Medical Center
- OSF Healthcare Saint Elizabeth Medical Center
- OSF Healthcare Saint James – John W. Albrecht Medical Center
- OSF Healthcare Center for Health – Streator
- OSF Healthcare Holy Family Medical Center
- OSF Healthcare St. Joseph Medical Center
- OSF Healthcare St. Mary Medical Center
- Catherine Hospital
- Mary Medical Center
- UI Health | UIC
- UnityPoint Health – Proctor
- UnityPoint Health – Methodist
- UnityPoint Health – Pekin
- UnityPoint Health – Trinity Rock Island
About Gift of Hope Organ & Tissue Donor Network
Gift of Hope is the not-for-profit organ procurement organization that coordinates organ and tissue donation and provides public education on donation in Illinois and northwest Indiana. As one of 57 OPOs that make up the nation’s donation system, we work with 180 hospitals and serve 12 million people in our donation service area. Since 1986, our work has saved the lives of more than 23,000 organ transplant recipients and improved the lives of hundreds of thousands of tissue transplant recipients.