We are honored to support donor families and recipients who choose to connect with one another, whether through correspondence or through meeting if and when they choose and agree the time is right.
If you are a transplant recipient, we are happy to support you as well in writing to your donor’s family.
We are here for you.
For donor families
The decision to write is a personal choice. Sometimes, families choose to write to recipients to share information about their loved one and themselves. For some, this sharing helps in their grieving process. Transplant recipients consistently express appreciation for the letters that they receive, and for learning about the person responsible for their renewed health and hope.
You may choose to keep identities confidential, or you may choose to disclose your information.
For transplant recipients
When you write to express your gratitude and acknowledge the loss your donor’s family has experienced: You are affirming the very reason for donation—to provide someone like you the gift of life and create meaning amid the loss of their loved one. Remember, there are no wrong words; even a simple thank you is appreciated.
You may wish to keep identities anonymous and confidential or you may choose to disclose your information.
Sending your letter
Email is strongly encouraged, for quickest delivery and to avoid the risk of a mailed letter getting lost.
Email your letter to DonorFamilies@giftofhope.org.
- If you are a donor family member: Please include your name, your loved one’s name, and the date of your loved one’s death at the top of your email. This is for our team’s reference only.
- If you are a transplant recipient: Please include your name, date of transplant and your transplant hospital at the top of your email. This is for our team’s reference only.
If you prefer to mail a handwritten letter:
- Place your handwritten letter in an envelope.
- Include a separate piece of paper for Gift of Hope’s information with your full name and the name of your loved one, including the date of his or her death. If you are a transplant recipient, include a separate piece of paper with your full name. date of transplant and your transplant hospital
- Address the envelope and mail to:
Gift of Hope Organ & Tissue Donor Network
Attn: Donor Family Services
425 Spring Lake Drive
Itasca, IL 60143